Violent Crimes Criminal Defense Lawyers in Wise County, Texas
While the major crime rate in Texas has dropped, violent crimes are still increasing in our state. As criminal defense attorneys, we here at the Law Office of Steven Williams handle a wide variety of different violent crime cases at the state and federal level.These types of crimes include:
- Homicide: The act of one person killing another person. There does not have to be any demonstrable intent.
- Murder: Murder is a type of homicide in which a person intentionally kills another person. There are two degrees of murder: first-degree murder, in which a person has a motive and plans the killing, and second-degree murder, which there was no premeditation, but the perpetrator showed a total disregard for the life of the victim.
- Manslaughter: This crime occurs when a person unintentionally kills another person due to recklessness or negligence.
- Battery: Battery is a crime in which one person causes intentional physical harm to another person.
- Assault: Assault is often confused with battery; however, there does not have to be any actual physical harm. There merely has to be the threat of battery or attempted battery to constitute criminal assault.
- Domestic violence: Any type of violence that occurs between domestic partners, such as a husband and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend, is considered domestic violence.
Many of these cases converge with investigations for weapons charges. The penalties a person faces depends on a variety of factors, including the severity of the crime. For example, a person charged with first-degree murder faces more serious penalties than a person charged with manslaughter because of factors such as intent and premeditation. There is also the factor of self-defense; which is an absolute defense to prosecution; therefore, if you can prove it, you will avoid the harsh penalties that come with these types of crimes.
When your facing violent crime charges, it is important to immediately get the experienced and reliable legal assistance you need. We take pride in representing our clients throughout Wise County, Texas, including the surrounding counties and communities. Allow our leverage, experience, and knowledge of the law and the county prosecution and standards to help you with your criminal defense, and call us today at (940) 627-6060 to arrange your free initial consultation.